Mini #3: Streetcar Characters

The streetcars here are pretty cute.  They're a big tourist attraction here in New Orleans, people talk about them, it's in two scenes in Princess & the Frog (which I love), and it's nice.  

But they're basically the same as city buses... but slower and anyone can and do use them.  This hasn't led to any interesting characters.. until now.

Sometimes the streetcar is so crowded that you have to hang onto the dangling handles or the pole for dear life which is fine, sort of like MSU CATA buses.  Today, a guy in dirty white pants and button up shirt with a Jamaican top hat and sunglasses (I seriously kid you not) offered me a little space next to him.  He is not the star of the story.

Of course, when the streetcar hits Bourbon street is where it empties out including Jamaican guy (He wasn't really Jamaican, he was clearly white).  A guy, older (around 40 year old) gentleman, who had been sitting across from me came over and sat next to me and starts talking to me.  Not too abnormal for New Orleans.

He asked me if I lived around here, and how he didn't, nope, he's a tourist.  Cool.  Asks my name (Nicole.. always Nicole), and asks me why I was here.  Internship.. cool cool.  He tells me I'm pretty, beautiful, gorgeous... etc etc, and then pulls out this old school camera.  You know, the one in the 90s that you would get for one time use and drop it off at the local drug store and get picture developed... ah those days were so much more fun, anticipation of pictures!  If you had a bad picture, it was bad, you didn't get to take 30 retakes!  ... Tangent.

And then he asks he could take a picture with me.....

no.

I ask him why (i'm pretty calm considering) and he says he wants a picture with a beautiful girl and what's the harm?  Literally... there was a guy sitting a few seats away who looked at us in shock.  Who asks that!?

I declined saying I wasn't interested.

And then my stop came and the awkwardness ended.

Seriously.. who does that?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About