Brown Day

It's no secret that I've been missing the touch of home- the food, my family, etc.  It's crazy how much you miss the little things as simple as spice packets... spice packets!

There's a shuttle that takes students around town and every Saturday, there's one that goes to the International Market around here.  It has all these desi, arab, asian supplies and I knew I had to go (Except mehendi.. there was none of that oddly)!  So me and my girl Takisha went and the homesickness... struck so hard!

All I saw was spices, foods, packets of things that I'm use to seeing my mom buying and I was like "... I miss brownness!"  It made me have this whole new appreciative attitude for my culture... I love being brown, I love everything! ... But we can wait a few months when I get back home to revisit that statement (where I will be surrounded by tons and tons of brown people once again).

Here's my haul!

Naan, samosas, and paneer masala

Almond oil (YES!!!!), green tea (so legit), a huge thing of italian seasoning (for so cheap), Parle-G biscuits (oh childhood), and Maggi!

HALAL chicken nuggets and Montichoor Ladoo! (Both things I have MISSED)

For lunch, I made some chicken nuggets and some sauteed veggies

Do you realize that this is the first time in a MONTH that I've had meat?  It actually hasn't been so bad, I almost refer to myself as a vegetarian/pescetarian, and then I forget I can eat meat.. just as long as it's halal.  There isn't that many halal meat markets around here, but it really hasn't been bad.  I wonder if it's a reason I've lost some weight here... I'm not sure!  Either way... I've missed brown things! Yay for that market and thank you Tulane for supplying my homesick needs!

Toodles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About